Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 26   [ 256 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Help on building my New computer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:09 am 

I am going to *hopefully* get a new computer (a desktop) and I want to know what's good and what isn't as I am not really a computer parts guy, more of a software person.

I want a gaming computer: something I can run games like Skyrim or Minecraft with the GLSL Shaders Mod. I know that I need something better than the processor that I have now. Post anything you have/think is good because no matter how expensive something is, I will work to get it! :D When I want something, I will *hopefully* get a job at this one place that hires people around my age to help out and get paid. Might take a while, but I can do it! Or I could walk down to Florida and borrow Met's computer. Oh, By the way Met, NASA wants their computer back :P Just for your entertainment, I posted what my laptop currently has.

My Laptop has:

CPU: Intel Pentium T4400 @ 2.2GHz
RAM: 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHZ
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0G848F (Microprocessor)
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Hard Drive: 313 GB
Audio: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Last edited by TombRaiderJake on Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Your Computer Specs
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 am 

I need more info, whats your price range? Also whats good differs from person to person and there experience with the part for the most part :)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:49 pm 
TBU Retired Owner

What he means by person to person.
You want a?
Hard core gaming pc, or gaming only. Really high power. $800-3000, and up!
A media system. Internet or movies. Less power. $300-$500
Media server. A server for movies and music. Less power. $300-$500
Stand alone server. Mid power. $400-800
Or a gaming pc. High power. $600-$1200
A system for movie making, Or 3d rendering. High power to mid. $600-$2000

Some will need a more powerful cpu, some will need a big hard drive. More than cpu power.
Some will need a combo of hdd, cpu, and video card.

Ram is not really as needed. It helps a lot though. Defiantly on load times. 4 to 8gbs are needed on a gamers rig. While a media server needs about 2gbs.

So what do you want? A normal gaming rig will let you play most games but not maxed out.
While a hard core system will cost more, but well obviously will be faster. The high end will be able to multi task. Meaning you want a cpu capable of running multiple tasks. So like a I7
or I5 if your going intel. A lite pc could use the I3. And get by just fine. But don't expect to run fire fox minecraft and 10 other things at once. Also more isn't always better when buying. You can spend way to much, and be regretting it latter. Make sure to buy what you need. Also.... STAY AWAY FROM DELL OR ALIEN WARE!!! :D

Most of there systems have built in detection systems in the bios to detect dell hardware.
So replacing old parts can be really expensive. Since you will have to buy the part through them. Not all dells do this. But it isn't worth the costs, risks, or headaches. Trust me.
Also you can say a bit of money going the amd route. Don't listen to the bull crap on the net. Amd are good cpu's so are intel. What matters is which one is on top at that current time. At this time Intel is. But maybe next month it will be amd. Who knows :lol:

Now Then what do you want? :geek:

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:01 pm 

I want a hardcore gaming PC. I was looking at the i7. It sounds great. Also, from what I have seen, Alienwares look like that they are just for looks.

This is a link to a processot that I have found that I'm interested in: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 21438117-2

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:16 pm 
TBU Owner

Custom built PC's you can get more for your money. Alot of what you pay for Alienwares is the name and look of the computer. Most times you can build the same specs for less money. My gaming system at home cost about 800-900 for me to build 3-4 years ago, and it still kicks ass.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:25 am 

Ok, I have been doing some research and eyeing up some parts, and this is what I have found so far:

Processor: Intel I7-990X
Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board DZ77GA-70K
Hard drive: Seagate - Barracuda 1TB
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680

Can I have come ideas for a:

Case
Power Supply
Memory
Optical Drive
EDIT: I forgot the heatsink :P

I'll be fine on looking for a monitor, keyboard and mouse

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:33 pm 
TBU Retired Owner

You're not seeming to get what we are trying to say,
and since no one is going to say it.

Your pc is over kill, and a waste of money. For what your paying you could build two top of the line pc's.
Or as plain as I can say it. You are buying a Lamborghini car to drive to the store. You can brag all you want about it,
But people will still ask you questions. Then walk away with them rolling your eyes.

You can get a high grade cpu for under $300 bucks! For the love of god $999 cpu is silly as all hell.
Hell right now you could get eldars cpu, and run what ever you want. It will be below 300 dollars.
Get a Phenom 2, or a I5 4 Core cpu.

Remeber in Just a year that CPU of yours will be out of date. In 2 you will be regretting that you ever bought it. When every one has the same cpu, or better. for cheaper.
Don't make the same mistakes as others. If you want this over priced computer then go for it. Don't expect any one here to be impressed. Impress by how much less you spend. Not how much. If you want us to show a reasonable pc build then ask. Other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Also that board wont work. Wrong socket type for that cpu you showed earlier.
That cpu is a "LGA 1366" the board only supports "LGA 1155" :? That could have been costly. Also a open cpu is not refundable. Unless damaged in the mail.
You then would need to rma the board for another and that, in most stores there will be a restocking fee.
On top of that. I would not spend a few thousand dollars on a computer. That you don't know how to build. That is just silly start small. Work your way up.

What I'm trying to say is. In a few years when I upgrade again. I will be out a few 100 bucks. You will be out a few thousand.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:04 pm 

Thank you met. I had nothing set in stone, but thank you for your help. I don't have much experience with building a computer. I also forgot to check the compatibility of the processor to the motherboard. Right now i am brainstorming ideas as I need to do my research before I buy anything. This is why I have you guys :D Sometimes when I get absorbed into something, I go overboard and need a smack in the back of the head to listen.

I have found a processor that is $294.99 that is somewhat similar to the other one. I'm sure it won't even make a difference. It is an i7-2600.

Also, I found an Gigabyte Motherboard going for $179.99

I have been eyeing up a Corsair Obsidian 650D. It's around $169.99, but that seems a little overkill as there are some going for under $100.

The Fan that I am looking at is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for $29.99

The Evga GeForce GTX 580 is $429.99. I think that might be a little over.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2 sticks of 4gb (total of 8gb) of RAM is going for $69.99

The Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard drive is $94.99

May I please have some suggestions for the Power Supply and the Optical Drive? I don't know which model of the Corsair TX is best for me. The price ranges from $90 to $180.

All suggestions are appreciated! All prices come from NewEgg.com for consistency except for the hard drive, which is from Best Buy's website. Also, I don't want a white computer case if you want to suggest one. Thank You!

With all the parts that I have minus the power supply comes out to: $1269.93, which is a lot of money, and I still need an Optical Drive and Power Supply. I also need my peripherals. The bare minimum that I would need is a keyboard, because I have a regular mouse and my parents have an old monitor from a Dell computer. But (not to sound like a whiny little bitch) I want a nice gaming mouse and a new monitor, as the old one is a little... Raggedy.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:30 pm 
TBU Owner

Few things, one main one.
For the love of god, dont go EVGA for a gfx card. Also, you need to make sure you get a gfx card with a good heat sink/fan.

As far as motherboards, I would sugest leaning for a MSI or ASUS.

Samsung also makes good HHD's and Optical you can go with most any brand, I generally lean to LightOn.

PSU, I usually lean Thermaltake or Antek, but overall, look at the reviews of the PSU.

Still, overall it looks like your still going a bit overkill.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:41 pm 
TBU Owner

What's wrong with EVGA? I've got an EVGA Nvidia 9800 GT, and that thing works great. I like the clocking software that came with it too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 26   [ 256 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next