Poll ended at Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:50 pm
Keep the server up 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shut down the server 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Change to something other than Tekkit 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Minecraft Server Status and Such
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:50 pm 
TBU Owner

Starting this thread to talk about our Minecraft server.
The TBU Minecraft server has seen alot of change over the years. Back in our original Vanilla Days, to Bukkit, and then to our current Tekkit Server.

The server had a large enough level of activity back in the day, but now does not see very much action.
Currently over the past 2 months there have been 7 different people who have logged into the server.
Over the past month, just 4, and the last person to connect to the server as of this post was on Nov 20th.

I know with the current setup is is harder to get new players on since the server is not wide open. But all anyone has to do to gain access is to post on the forums. I would have considered going back to Bukkit, but thanks to all the drama going on with that project and it is pretty much dead in the water for awhile, I do not see it as a viable option.

So here's the deal. The server currently cost $30 a month. Alot of money considering the server is pretty much dead at the moment.
I have created a poll so people can vote on what they would like to do.

I am willing to keep the server running, but... Activity will need to be increased. If you would like to see the server continue, invite people. Get others involved.

If you think the server needs to go in another direction than Tekkit, suggest that as well. Just keep in mind, the server activity will need to be improved, and we will need dedicated active admins for the server.
And if you read that last part correct you are right. For the first time I will take applications for admin on a server. But, the server will HAVE to be more active.

Shutting down the server is not final, but with the current level of activity it is on the table.

ADHD Version:
Minecraft server is dead.
Eldar is looking at options.

Post subject: Re: Minecraft Server Status and Such
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:04 pm 
TBU Retired Owner

I say use the money for something else. Save it up for some other project.

Or so you have some change for some newer games for your self. :P
So just let it die. Please -_-....

None of our active members even care. Some random blokes that come on. Whoop de doo.
Save the money for your self, or something you can get behind.

Hell we have had more active players on 7 Days To Die, and Dayz than that server has had in months.
And I mean time played. Not logs.

Sorry I think it's time to move on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 pm 

no point spending money on a server people go on just to check there stuff for a minute and log of again :roll: put the money to another game or save ur self some money for a bit ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:52 pm 

I would say that if we think that the server is not seeing enough traffic, then it would be worth changing things up. If there are not may players then the game mode becomes a bit redundant with not much to do once you have finished your "main base". Personley if it was my money, and it had been inactive for that long i would shut it down and turn the money to something newer/ more popular.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:18 pm 
TBU Owner

Well, the poll ended yesterday with only 1 vote to keep the server up.

So as of now the server will be going down this month.
I took a look through their list of hosted games and none really jumped out at me for a good replacement (At least nothing that we cant easily run on the VPS).

As I stated before, if interest increases in the future we can see about starting another server. If just a few of us want to hop on and putter around in it from time to time we can bring up a server instance on the Dev server or the VPS.

I will also be retiring the tbuminecraft.net address as well. If we need to have a domain for any future minecraft servers we can easily use a sub domain of tbuservers.net.

We have had a good run with Minecraft, and made a lot of cool stuff, but it is time to retire the server.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:14 am 
TBU Retired Owner

We can always use the money to upgrade the vps. If needed. But as of now I don't think that is needed.
We don't really have a large enough player base to even worry about that.

Gonna lock this tread now, since this was a poll thread. 8-)
Have a happy new year.

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]