Poll ended at Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 am
Change it into a Tekkit server. 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
Keep it as it is. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
TLDR 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Kill it with fire!!! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Future of the TBU Minecraft Server
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:31 am 

Hey guys, since the server has been very lowly populated these last couple of months, we've been mulling over the idea of making it a Tekkit server.

Tekkit is a modpack included in the Technic Launcher and is very easy for players to load mods and play without editing their minecraft .jar files themselves.
This would also make it easier on us around update time, as we would have less mods to test and keep up to date.
This also means that we would be able to update as soon as the next Tekkit build is available.

Now with a Tekkit server, there are more mods and much more to do, but at a cost.
We would have to make it a whitelist only server, and it would be a new map.
However, if we do this, the current map will be put into a .zip file and available for download.
That way nobody will lose anything.

For those of you who have been playing regularly, we would gladly put you on the whitelist, and anyone else will be able to apply to join the server.

We've decided that this may be a good direction for us to bring the server, and would like to hear any input our players have on the matter.

The poll will be open for 2 weeks, and after it has closed we will discuss the outcome and continue from there.

May the ore be with you, and creepers behind. :ugeek:
~Dragoon

Post subject: Re: Future of the TBU Minecraft Server
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 am 
TBU Owner

If we swap over to this I will look forward to not having to vet every plugin for every update. Not to mention the issue with plugins going dead.

Another issue with keeping the server up to date for the latest builds is that with 1.7 there will be new bioms. So the only way people would have access to these would be when we regen Mea.

If we end up converting we will try and get most all the existing people with Member status on the whitelist. Everyone else will need to post on the forums for access.

If or when the time comes we will crate a section for people topost for access.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:31 am 

Yes, having the Technic Pack Launcher really makes it easier on both server and clients. Even when downgrading and upgrading your client. Soo much less hassle.

If and when the server is changed to Tekkit, i'll throw together an application for people to follow for the whitelist.
It'll just ask some basic questions about the player, and a few about the server's rules as well.
I'll also have to tweak the rules a bit for Tekkit as well, since a lot of the ones we have now are geared towards our current setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:07 pm 

Why not instead of a Tekkit server, we set up a Feed the Beast server instead? Way more mods and alot more to do imo, I'd hop on alot and do some hoodo voodo magic stuff with Mystcraft.

** Edit: Keeping in mind Feed The Beast is almost identical to Tekkit, with more mods etc, although it requires a pretty bulky server to run, one with atleast 4-5 gigs of ram dedicated to it. So I guess Tekkit is the cheaper alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:23 pm 
TBU Owner

Tekkit also has Mystcraft as well

Mod list is here http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 pm 

Yeah Zante, we're trying to keep the server to a manageable cost for us as well. A feed the beast server would need a lot more resources which would up the monthly cost by quite a bit.
Since the MC community we have is smaller, we'll just stick with looking at Tekkit for now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:37 pm 

Alright, sounds good to me. I'll probably hop on when it's up to do some wizardry and steal peoples resources to use in my research. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 pm 
TBU Owner

lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:28 pm 
TBU Owner

Well since people love the FUCK outta some tekkit servers, that traffic might spike like crazy again. I'll probably even show my obscure face around there if it happens. I'd like to see it happen, and I know a few other people who would too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:31 pm 

I would love to see a Tekkit server, normal old minecraft just isn't cutting it anymore :c

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next